Friday, June 4, 2010

Road Wrap



I hate bugs all over the front of my camper. The only thing worse than bugs on the camper is getting them off. I don't care how easy anyone else says it is to get them off, it's a pain in the butt. I've washed them off as soon as I get to the campground but who wants to wash a camper while you're in Destin. I've tried using dryer sheets to scrub'em off, yea they work OK. I've tried waxing the front cap before every trip, that's about as hard as scrubbing them off. If you've ever driven through love bugs, you know that if you don't get them off quick, the acid in their evil little bodies will eat into the decals on your camper.

About a month ago I came across 'Road Wrap' and ordered a roll that day. It is the coolest stuff ever. The answer to a prayer. You might think it's a little expensive but if you consider your time (and I got better things to do with my time than scrub bug guts) it's aint bad at all.

It comes on a roll, about like plastic wrap only a little larger, 18" wide by 50'. Nothing but a thin clear film with a slightly sticky backing. They even send you all the tolls you need to put it on. I spent about 20 minutes on a ladder putting it on the front of the camper. I didn't go from side to side like the directions say, I went from top to bottom, that way I could apply it as I climbed down the ladder and move the ladder over to the next section. This was my first time to use it and like I said, I only spent about 20 minutes putting it on so with some practice, I'm sure I can make it look a little better. It didn't really look bad, just had a few more wrinkles in it than it should but the wrinkles didn't affect how it worked. Here's some pictures after a 3 hour drive across northern Alabama. I thought I'd try it out on this short trip just to see how it did.



















Not a lot of bugs but several love bugs even this far north and this early in the year. Only time I've ever been glad to see bugs on the camper, I wanted this stuff to work and it did. The following pictures are about 5 minutes later:

Is that cool or what?

Peel it off and camper looks like I just washed/scrubbed the heck out of it. No problems with the decals, the stuff is just sticky enough to stay on (even in the rain) but not damage the decals. Just so you know, the directions say not to leave it on for more than 7 days, well the first thing I did was leave it on for two weeks. Seven days wasn't going to get it, that would mean that I'd have to put it on twice in a trip. I'd rather not scrub bugs or apply Road Wrap while I'm on vacation.

Next trip will be to Florida, so it'll get a real test then, unless the oil slick changes our plans. I'll post more info as I get it and anything else I figure out to do with this stuff. Postage and all, it was less that 30 bucks and I figure that's enough to do the camper twice. It's a lot cheaper by the case and I think that's the way I'll be ordering it next time. From the looks of it, I won't be going anywhere without getting "Road Wrapped" first. Their web site has a lot of info and some videos to show you how to apply it and other things you can use it for.

Here's a link or click the add at the top of the page, I put the adds there so no redirects or anything:


If I were ranking this on the "Redneck Beer Review", it would get an: ICE COLD SIX-PACK WHILE SETTIN' ON THE BEACH, for anyone that reads my other blog.





















1 comment:

  1. i use this product also and it works great!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete